It’s never too late. July 12 was PrimeDay – Amazon Prime’s anniversary where they say they have Black Friday prices. While I was busy filling my shopping cart in preparation for all the great deals I was going to get on PrimeDay, other bloggers were creating blog posts, videos, and social media posts with their Amazon Associates affiliate links. After my husband and I were done with our $400 in purchases, it dawned on me: DUH! I should have been out there promoting great deals for PrimeDay, using my own Amazon Associates (Amazon’s affiliate program) affiliate links! It was 11:00 am. Was it too late?
Triple the affiliate income in a third of the time
Here’s what went down:
- 11:30 am: I recorded a quick video recapping what we actually bought, why we bought that stuff, and what the deal was. The video was just me talking with images of what we bought overlaid on the video.
- 12:00 pm: I got the husband to email our order to me so I could find all the links for what we actually bought in Amazon Associates, download the images, and start building a blog post.
- 1:00 pm finished writing the blog post. Created a thumbnail collage for the video in canva. Shared some of the affiliate links on social media, including a link to the bras I bought. I know. But keep reading…
- 3:00 pm: finished editing the video, typed out all the closed captions, and uploaded to YouTube.
- 4:00 pm: Publish BLOG POST. Published VIDEO. Shouted it out on social media.
On July 15, 2016, I logged into my Amazon Associates account to pull some affiliate links to schedule on my social media this week and I saw a HUGE spike in sales!!! I sold over 10 bras for Amazon, in addition to a host of other crazy items. People actually took my recommendations and bought the stuff I recommended! Imagine that.
PrimeDay started at 12:00am on July 12, 2016. I published my blog post and video a full 16 hours later, with only 8 hours left in the day for #PrimeDay shopping. And I tripled my bounties over last month and this month is only half way over.
This solar backpack was one of the items I pitched on PrimeDay on my blog, in a video, and on social media.
How to be successful with affiliate marketing, in a nutshell
Why was I successful, even when I started so late compared to everyone else? There are 4 key components to making affiliate marketing work for you. I’m going to use the example of the bra I shared in the PrimeDay blog post, since I sold the most of that one product over all of the others. Here’s what to remember when sharing affiliate links:
- Authenticity – I shared what I REALLY bought. Yes, I bought bras because they were best bras I’ve found yet. I was real and raw and a little bit funny. People can relate to that and they can trust me.
- Authority – I shared my experience and why I was buying those items. I had tried many bras and I shared the challenges I faced shopping in regular stores. I had tried this bra from Amazon last month so I KNEW that it worked and I shared that experience.
- Specialty – The bra I bought was not available anywhere BUT Amazon. These are the best kinds of items for affiliates – items you CANNOT just drive to Target or Walmart to buy. I also enforced the idea that the regular retailers for bras don’t have anything that works in this case because I tried all their bras. Needing a hard-to-find bra size forced me to shop online and people in a similar situation, who need a specialty product, would feel compelled to shop online too when they can’t find what they need in a brick and mortar shop.
- Urgency – PrimeDay certainly helped with making sales. A deadline or limited quantity will make people buy NOW, which is what we want with affiliate links because we only get credit for the sale for a limited time after someone clicks from our link.
It’s never too late to get started with affiliate links!
If you are still on the fence about affiliate links and whether or not you can actually make money, this post is proof. You don’t have to have a fancy sale, you don’t have to be the early bird to catch the worm. You just have to show up and start sharing those links. Yes, there is a science to it and I can recommend some great resources when you’re ready for that part. But for now, if you are NOT yet using affiliate links, just start. It doesn’t matter if everyone else is already sharing the best stuff or that you’re late to the party. The time is NOW.
- How to get started with Amazon Associates
- Get Tasha Arguso’s ebook on Affiliate Marketing
- Join Smart Creative Social on Facebook
What has stopped you from using affiliate links? Let me know in the comments section!